General Card Creation: Red

Go down

General Card Creation: Red

Post  xfollowthereaperx on Thu May 26, 2011 5:56 am

Post a card idea here if you feel that it doesn't deserve its own thread yet.

Last edited by xfollowthereaperx on Thu May 26, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

xfollowthereaperx
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General Card Creation: Red

Post  BlueBabyDragon on Thu May 26, 2011 10:51 am

This is a burn spell I mentioned to xfollowthereaperx once.

Mana Red
Sorcery
CARDNAME deals 2 damage to target creature or player. If you control a red permanent, CARDNAME deals 4 damage to that creature or player instead.

Plays well with the manastones, hybrids, etc. and is a "Galvanic Blast" type of card that actually works in Cube. I'm afraid it might be too powerful.

Mana 1Mana Red at instant speed is also possible, but I don't feel it should be Mana Red at instant speed.

BlueBabyDragon
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman on Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 pm

I think four damage for one mana is a bit too good off of such a negligable requirment of having a single red permenant out. Maybe if it was two?

Goblin Fireworks Mana RedMana Red
Sorcery
Goblin Fireworks deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Put a 1/1 red goblin token into play.
Pringlesman
Admin

View user profile http://customcube.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bwian on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Best place to put this for now:

"Hasty Goblin"
1R
Creature - Goblin
Haste
2/1

Pretty much the red creature I want most in my regular cube, so I think it would work well here as a basic aggro creature.

Also, would a red Youthful Knight be too powerful? I think it would work well in red.

Bwian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bwian on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 am

Double post, sorry. :)

The other day on Twitter, I mentioned to no one in particular that I was thinking about what Standard would have looked like if Stoneforge Mystic was instead a red card.

It fits thematically in red still, and is even more aggressive when in red. Dunno if it's something we want to explore, but it's pretty neat. You could put it on a slightly larger creature for more cost, like a 3/2 for Mana 1Mana RedMana Red without the vial ability (maybe with "equipment spells cannot be countered"?) if you don't want to copy the existing design.

Bwian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooru on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm

________ Mana Red
Sorcery
________ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
You may tap target creature.

*how do I word this so it's clear? Choose one or both?

Sooru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Does red tap down creatures? I thought that was a blue and white thing.
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooru on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Not precisely, it was discussed at some MTGS thread about giving red more depth that red has the pretty much the same funtionality in preventing blocking as tapping creatures as sorcery. It would also force them to use abilities in response as added bonus.

I was just trying to think of some extra to add to burn spells, like

Mana Red instant - bolt for 2 + benefit
Mana Red sorcery - bolt for 2 + benefit (think Firebolt)

Mana 1Mana Red instant - bolt for 3 + benefit (Incinerate etc)

In the same vein I think the red SFM-like creature is great idea, in general having the equipment theme in red rather than white since white already has so much stuff going for it.

Sooru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Well if the purpose of the card is to burn a blocker and make another creature unable to block that turn, why not just make the card do that?

Mana Red
Sorcery
~ Deals 2 damage to target creature or player and target creature can't block until end of turn.

Though that really reminds me of intimidation bolt.
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooru on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:33 am

Bwian wrote:The other day on Twitter, I mentioned to no one in particular that I was thinking about what Standard would have looked like if Stoneforge Mystic was instead a red card.

It fits thematically in red still, and is even more aggressive when in red. Dunno if it's something we want to explore, but it's pretty neat. You could put it on a slightly larger creature for more cost, like a 3/2 for Mana 1Mana RedMana Red without the vial ability (maybe with "equipment spells cannot be countered"?) if you don't want to copy the existing design.

I think the following would be pretty cool:

CARDNAME Mana 1Mana Red
Creature - Devil Rogue
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Equipment card, reveal it and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library afterwards.
Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, you may put an Equipment card from your hand onto the battlefield.
1/1

It allows dropping the equipment third turn like SFM, but you'd probably need to burn a blocker for him to connect. Against an empty board it obviously is superior.

As a red card I feel it needs to cost no more than 2 mana even more than as white to keep the aggressiveness.

I know this wouldn't ever be printed in a normal set, tutoring not being red, SFM being too consistent for red etc :p Like Bwian said it's been done before with Godo, Bandit Warlord. Add the sabotage ability from Goblin Lackey and there we go.

Sooru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down