Creature type brainstorming: Blue

Go down

Creature type brainstorming: Blue

Post  BlueBabyDragon on Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:19 pm

I feel that this would get too confusing if it wasn't its own thread. I will make similar threads for the other colors after this one gets underway a bit.

It seems to me like it would help us create creatures more easily if we thought about what sort of creature types we'd like to see represented in each color. The reason I'm starting with Blue is because it has the fewest creatures, which will make the easy aspects of this the easiest (it will be the fastest to finish Blue's creatures), and the hard parts of this the hardest (it will pave the way when we do this for the other colors). Blue is also the color I feel we're the farthest along with.

This will help us in a few ways:

• It will help us come up with top-down M10-ish designs.
  • It will make sure as many creature types as possible are represented.
  • It will give us ideas in general, since talking about the creature types will spark designs.

Any discussion at all in this thread is welcomed; the idea is to create ideas that will evolve into cards that we'll be happy to include!

So here are the types that popped into my head. Since Blue has the fewest creatures, not all of these will fit, and some will probably be duplicated.

• Merfolk
  • Djinn
  • Sphinx
  • Leviathan
  • Fish
  • Drake - Mystic Drake
  • Dragon - could be cool to have a cycle of 5 dragons. Blue's finishers could consist of a Sphinx, a Djinn, a Dragon, and a Leviathan or something like that. Alternatively we could make dragons exclusive to Red.
  • Illusion
  • Bird
  • Bird Soldier, Bird Wizard - any other interesting creature types that could be anthropmorphized like Aven?
  • Human Wizard
  • Human Pirate
  • Human Rogue
  • Elemental (wind-themed, water-themed)
  • Shapeshifter
  • Faerie

Again, not all of those will fit obviously, but let me know if I missed anything big!

BlueBabyDragon
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Creature type brainstorming: Blue

Post  BlueBabyDragon on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 am

So I was trying to come up with a "genie that grants you three wishes" concept in the vein of Djinn of Wishes, but I just came up with this, which I didn't like enough to give its own thread:

Creature - Djinn
Mana 4Mana BlueMana BlueMana Blue?
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, return target permanent to its owner's hand.
Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a creature, regenerate that creature and gain control of it.
When CARDNAME leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
5/6?

It just feels too clunky!

But then I thought that that second ability (similar to the white card Debt of Loyalty) could be possibly used on a hybrid Mana WU card or something.

BlueBabyDragon
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooru on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 am

I think the middle ability would fit a Mana WhiteMana Black card better.

How about replacing it with a simple ability that deals with single card to keep the symmetry? For example mill target player for 1. That would help to keep the cost down too since it's really quite crappy ability. I would also make the first ability to target another permanent, so it's not a sorcery speed Whispers of the Muse.

Djinn of Three Cards Mana 4Mana BlueMana Blue
Creature - Djinn
Flying
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, return another target permanent to it's owner's hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put the top card of target player's library into their graveyard.
When CARDNAME leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
4/5

Would it be fun to break this into it's minions too, three little creatures each with one of the abilities? (the minions might also work with a planeswalker in another project)

Sooru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down