Custom Cube Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cube Breakdown

3 posters

Go down

Cube Breakdown Empty Cube Breakdown

Post  Pringlesman Thu May 26, 2011 2:51 am

360 Cards

48 each color
40 Multicolor (4 each guild)
40 Artifact
40 Lands
Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

https://customcube.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Cube Breakdown Empty Re: Cube Breakdown

Post  Lanxal Thu May 26, 2011 3:44 am

Should we try to fit in a 10-card shard/wedge cycle? I think this is the perfect opportunity to try to get together some fun and powerful 3-color cards in the CCC.

Lanxal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 am

Traditionally I have been against shard sections. Because regardless to how powerful they are they will always be late picks because a. you can bank on them wheeling and b. most of the time you aren't in that tri color deck.

Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lanxal Thu May 26, 2011 4:14 am

Hm. But what about cards like Wild Nacatl, which is much more flexible? Would that be game?

If yes, I'll make a few and post them later.

Lanxal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman Thu May 26, 2011 4:28 am

I have no problems with Wild Nacatl style "shard" cards. A 10 card mono colored cycle that gets better if it's shard cards are arodund. If we do it like that I think it's important to make sure each color gets two. so.

Bant + WRB = white
Esper +RUG = Blue
Grixis + BGW (I can BGW Doran normally) = black
Jund + RWU = Red
Naya + GBU = Green
Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueBabyDragon Thu May 26, 2011 10:11 am

I've thought about this for a while, and this is what I like best:

48 White
  • 27 creatures
  • 21 noncreatures

48 Blue
  • 18 creatures
  • 30 noncreatures

48 Black
  • 21 creatures
  • 27 noncreatures

48 Red
  • 24 creatures
  • 24 noncreatures

48 Green
  • 30 creatures
  • 18 noncreatures

40 Artifacts
  • 10 Manastones (even though they're colored)
  • 30 Miscellaneous

40 Multicolor
  • 20 traditional (2 for each color)
  • 20 hybrid (2 for each color)

40 Lands
  • 30 Two-color Lands (3 for each color)
  • 10 Miscellaneous

And then, to make up for the "loss" of some artifacts, each color would have 2-3 colored artifacts and/or colorless cards with the Mana 2W mechanic.

I like the idea of 20 hybrids, even though I know it's a bit out of left-field. Keep in mind that hybrids are very easy to fit in your deck; if a card is Mana RW, for example, it can always fit in your deck without problems unless it's Mana UB, Mana BG, or Mana GU .

I'm not sure I like the idea of Shard cards since the Cube is a bit small at 360 and there's not really much room. But I dunno, we might come up with something really good.

The creature/noncreature breakdowns are not strict at all, just guidelines. Black could also be the 24/24 and Red could be the 21/27, but I like the idea of Red having slightly more creatures than in a normal Cube. Either way, we don't have to use those exact values; I just named values so we don't make too many noncreatures, etc.

Each color could also maybe have a (man?)land and maybe more monocolor lands, which would be filed under its color section (maybe in noncreature?).

Last edited by BlueBabyDragon on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

BlueBabyDragon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 pm

I think you have green switched. It should probably be 30 creatures and 18 noncreatures.

20 Hybrids is alot. I think that cuts a bit deep into multicolor. I wouldn't mind doing 30/10

I don't know how thrilled I am about the 10 manastones to be honest. Is it that important we have a cycle of signets? Could we shorten t down to a cycle of 5 and they be a mono colored accelerant ala Charcol Diamond and friends?

If we make 10 mono colored shard cards (2 for each color) we could always play them in the mono colored sections. I play Wild Nacatl as a mono green card in my cube.
Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueBabyDragon Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for the Green catch, I fixed it.

I dislike the idea of dropping some manastones and keeping others that some people mentioned before (in the main thread, not here). In a real Cube that's fine with me since some colors are more aggro than others, but in this it feels to me like there needs to be symmetry (ex. either 5 of them or 10 of them). Plus since we're filling the slots we can adjust the levers of aggro and control in each color.
I don't think we necessarily need 10. Thus, I wouldn't mind dropping the manastones if we were making a Charcoal Diamond cycle or something in its place. (and in fact, if the Charcoal cycle was good enough, I would prefer it to the 10) What did you have in mind? Something like this?

Charcoal Diamond+
Mana 2
Artifact
Tap: Add Mana Black to your mana pool.

(A cycle like that was almost printed in Scars of Mirrodin in place of the Myr)

Or this?

Charcoal Diamond+
Mana 2B
Artifact
Tap: Add Mana Black to your mana pool.

Though I think the concensus would be that the latter is too good even if it entered tapped (since it's like the original manastones).

I play Wild Nacatl as a mono-green card in my Cube, too, but only because I don't run Shard cards and it's the only "tricolor" card that functions as it does (I consider Loam Lion and Kird Ape multicolor). I think 1 card like that is wonderful. I think 10 cards like that is far too many, and in my opinion it doesn't fit Mana Blue and Mana Black as much as Mana RedMana GreenMana White. I don't really like the idea of shard cards too much to begin with because the Cube is so small, but I dislike the idea of 10 Nacatl-ish ones more.

Take Kird Ape for example. Ape can only be effective in your deck if you are Red/Green. (This is not a dig against Kird Ape's quality- I love him!) He's also not as easy to splash as a traditional gold card because you need a Forest for him to live up to his full potential. Nacatl has two land types to work with, and I often play her in my Mana GreenMana White and Mana RedMana Green decks to fantastic results, but she is only at her full power if your deck is "Naya" enough. I love her, but I'm not sure I would want to fit ten of her in such a small Cube.

I know the 20 hybrids is a bit high, but I honestly think it would work out really well. Unlike "Nacatls", which only live up to their full potential in a very specific color scheme, hybrids work in roughly 70% of two-color decks. Our "traditional" multicolor cards are not harmed too much by them being there, and they can be played in a wide variety of decks which makes them interesting, fightable picks in the draft. In a real Cube, I'm by no means of the "force each gold pair to have a hybrid section" crowd, but here, it feels like we have a chance to do so since we're in control. But if 30/10 works out better in the end, I'm fine with that too.

BlueBabyDragon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:26 pm

The problem with designing 20 hybrid cards is that hybrid has a very small design space. You have to design a card that works well as botha mono X card while also being good as mono Y card. And the ammount of design space that both cards occupy is quite small.

My proposed design skeleton

Bassicaly cut down to five mana stones, and 10 hybrid cards, everything else is the same.

48 White
27 creatures
21 noncreatures

48 Blue
18 creatures
30 noncreatures

48 Black
21 creatures
27 noncreatures

48 Red
24 creatures
24 noncreatures

48 Green
30 creatures
18 noncreatures

40 Artifacts
05 Manastones (even though they're colored)
35 Miscellaneous

40 Multicolor
30 traditional (2 for each color)
10 hybrid (2 for each color)

40 Lands
30 Two-color Lands (3 for each color)
10 Miscellaneous
Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down