[1U CREAT] Merfolk Spellspitter

Go down

[1U CREAT] Merfolk Spellspitter

Post  xfollowthereaperx on Thu May 26, 2011 4:13 am

Here is my suggestion for a utility creature that is really aggressive in blue. Accidently posted in black because all the boards are empty and as of now they look all the same haha.

Merfolk Spellspitter
Mana 1Mana Blue
Mana 1Mana BlueMana Blue, Sacrifice ~: Counter target noncreature spell, put into play a X/X blue Elemental creature token onto the battlefield where x is that spells converted mana cost.
Mana 1, Return a land you control to it's owner's hand: Counter target noncreature spell unless it's owner pays Mana 1.
2/1

Last edited by xfollowthereaperx on Thu May 26, 2011 5:30 am; edited 3 times in total

xfollowthereaperx
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [1U CREAT] Merfolk Spellspitter

Post  Pringlesman on Thu May 26, 2011 4:38 am

I know by your title [2C] you mean the card costs 2. But 2C means 2 and a colored mana. so if would have a cmc of 3.

Onto the card, seems way too good. It's a drainking whelk + meloku force spike for 1U.

I don't get the power and toughness. It seems like it should be a squire instead of an aggressive creature (is there lingo for a 2/1?)

The abilities don't seem to jive together well. I think it would be better to focus on just one of the abilities (the force spike one is much more interesting) and create a second synergistic abiltiy to go alongside it. Maybe something like

~ 1U
Creature - Merfolk blah
Bounce Land: Force Spike
If you control no lands, sacrifice ~ and draw three cards.
1/1
Pringlesman
Admin

View user profile http://customcube.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lanxal on Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 am

Two abilities seems a bit much for a 2-drop. Overly complex and perhaps powerful. We could probably split the two abilities onto two cards, like so (and with some formatting corrections):

Merfolk Spellspitter 1U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
1UU, Sacrifice ~: Counter target noncreature spell, and put a X/X blue Elemental creature token onto the battlefield, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.
2/1

Bondbreaker Membrane 1U
Creature - Illusion
Defender
1, Return a land you control to it's owner's hand: Counter target noncreature spell unless it's owner pays 1.
0/4

Lanxal
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman on Thu May 26, 2011 5:03 am

Your first suggestion reminds me of Disrupted Student. Granted there are quite a few differences.

DS can't be used the turn it comes down.
DS doesn't tie up mana
DS can only be used once.
DS Doesn't set you back in development
DS cost one more.
DS can hit creatures.

That being said I don't think that this is that much stronger that Disrupted Student to make it cubable.
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  xfollowthereaperx on Thu May 26, 2011 5:16 am

DS is a cool card, I would think a Wall of Roots version of the card to be crazy fun.

Mana 2Mana Blue
Defender
Put a -0/-1 counter on ~: Counter target spell unless its owner pays Mana 1, you may activate this ability only once a turn.
0/4

I do however think that DS and my original card have a tiny tiny bit of similarities but overall they have a lot more differences. The OP card is very very powerful. Probably busted.

xfollowthereaperx
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman on Thu May 26, 2011 5:19 am

xfollowthereaperx wrote:DS is a cool card, I would think a Wall of Roots version of the card to be crazy fun.

Mana 2Mana Blue
Defender
Put a -0/-1 counter on ~: Counter target spell unless its owner pays Mana 1, you may activate this ability only once a turn.
0/4

Ding*winner*ding

At this point the only things I think are left to discuss on this cards are if we want it to cost 1U and if it being a 0/5 is too much.
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  xfollowthereaperx on Thu May 26, 2011 5:22 am

I actually think at Mana 1Mana Blue it would be too powerful unless it were a 0/2 which would be too weak. Mana 2Mana Blue is the place to be.

xfollowthereaperx
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman on Thu May 26, 2011 5:24 am

THe problem with permenant based daze effects is that unless you are an idiot. You should never all for them. Especially if it's limited to one a turn.
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lanxal on Thu May 26, 2011 7:39 am

Love the wall (possible name: Dazzling/Distorting/Disrupting Membrane), although I agree that it is really difficult to see the power level of without testing.

In any case, I personally vote for the Mana 2 Mana Blue 0/5.

This is interesting because we began on one card and made another. Should the wall get it's own thread? And what of the Spellspitter now?

Lanxal
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xfollowthereaperx on Thu May 26, 2011 1:52 pm

When something like this happens it is fine to create a new thread if it's pretty obvious that we enjoy the new card. It is also fine to leave the remainder of the discussion in this thread though mods can split topics. Not splitting a topic is nice because it doesn't get really confusing. I do ask that we reference the old thread in case we are interested in the start of the discussion.

xfollowthereaperx
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bwian on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Pringlesman wrote:(is there lingo for a 2/1?)

I would say a "lion", for the various Savannah, Jungle, etc. breeds.

Bwian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum