Custom Cube Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[UB Pair] Nightmare

5 posters

Go down

[UB Pair] Nightmare Empty [UB Pair] Nightmare

Post  OP_Forever Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Nightmare
Mana Blue Mana Blue Mana Black
Instant
Discard a card. Counter target spell. Then, unless that spell controller pay 1, return Nightmare to its owner hand.

Too powerful?

OP_Forever

Back to top Go down

[UB Pair] Nightmare Empty Re: [UB Pair] Nightmare

Post  xfollowthereaperx Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:57 pm

I dislike this card because it has a ton going on with it for a counterspell.

xfollowthereaperx
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Also, I don't see why this card needs to be UB. Discarding a card as payment for a counterspell (forbid) countering a spell (counterspell) and doing something unless your openent pays mana (Rhystic Study). This card is mono blue and not fun to play against.
Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

https://customcube.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bwian Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I like this a lot less than the other UB counterspell on the board, and I don't think that there needs to be more than one in the final set. It's just a bit too complicated for the effect.

Perhaps something like this would work better as an off-color second ability, like:

Mana 1Mana BlueMana Blue Nightmare Counter
Instant
Counter target spell.
Mana BlackMana Black, discard a card: Return ~ to your hand from your graveyard. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

Or maybe with a flashback cost that's similar, like Flashback--UBB, discard a card.

Bwian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooru Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Forbid is such an elegant card, having to play this would just make me sad. I think the idea would have more merit morphed towards something like Probe - one of my favourite cards when kicked.

Or a crazy one:

At the beginning of your upkeep, if CARDNAME is in your graveyard with a black card directly on top of it, you may (pay a cost, if you do) return CARDNAME to your hand.

I know with modern design principles the order of one's GY shouldn't matter :p

Sooru

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Yeah I agree with the fact graveyard order shouldn't matter. Lets put it this way, is this card good enough where all other players should be forced to keep there graveyard organized?
Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooru Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 am

Exiling cards from GY would be better than the order thingy. It could be made black card(s) to keep the dimir theme, but isn't really needed. I'll try to brainstorm something that recurs like this as it feels about as good an idea as the discard for Forbid, but maybe the following would be too much of a rip-off:

"Forget" Mana 2Mana BlueMana Blue
Instant
Counter target spell.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if "Forget" is in your graveyard, you may exile two instant cards from your graveyard. If you do, return "Forget to your hand"

Sooru

Back to top Go down

Post  Pringlesman Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Just curious, could you exile forget and another instant and return forget from the exile zone to your hand with the way thats worded, or does it check to see if it's in your graveyard on resolution?
Pringlesman
Pringlesman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sooru Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Yeah probably, though I think they haven't let any stuff like that go through so there aren't examples... I was thinking about it for a while but forgot to make it 'two other cards'

Sooru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum